Exchange Program Visas

When a foreign national wants to participate in an exchange program that would allow them to come to the United States for a certain, temporary period of time, they must obtain a nonimmigrant visa. There are many categories for which a person can be considered to be on exchange. There are also specific exchange programs that have been approved by the Untied States. These exchanges are known as Exchange Visitor Pilot Programs, and allow persons from Australia, New Zealand and Ireland to participate in summer or intern work travel pilot programs to the United States.

As previously mentioned, there are a number of exchange visitor categories. These can include a person who is an intern, a camp counselor, an au pair, a research scholar or university student, a physician, a government visitor, amongst other categories. If you plan on participating in an exchange program in the United States, you must apply for an exchange visa. You will not be permitted to enter the United States without a visa so it is important that you complete your application as soon as you can. When you complete your visa, you will have to complete Form DS-160, the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and include a photograph with your form. The vast majority of people are required to take part in an interview. The people who are not required to take part in an interview are those who are age 13 or younger, or age 80 or older. Anyone between the ages of 14 and 79 will be required to take part in an interview regarding their exchange application.

If you have questions regarding obtaining a visa to come to the United States for an exchange program, contact an experienced immigration attorney who can provide you with assistance.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?