Can My Citizenship be Revoked with Denaturalization?

You may feel comfort in knowing that your naturalization process is over and you have been granted citizenship in the United States. However, you must act in accordance with federal and state law, or else you may be denied your citizenship. Continue reading to learn how your citizenship can be revoked with denaturalization and how an experienced US naturalization lawyer in Milwaukee, WI at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help you during this time.

What is denaturalization?

Put simply, denaturalization is the process in which a naturalized U.S. citizen can be stripped of their citizenship and subject to deportation from the country. Notably, denaturalization can occur after your citizenship has been granted if the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) files an action against you to the federal court. Also notably, your children who were granted citizenship based on your status may also lose their citizenship after you are denaturalized.

On what grounds may my citizenship be revoked with denaturalization?

There are a number of reasons why the USCIS may attempt to get you denaturalized. Some examples include the following:

  • You falsified or concealed relevant facts in your naturalization application process: as you are likely aware, the naturalization application and interview process required you to answer serious questions, such as your criminal history and your real identity. If you so much as slightly veered from the truth in your paperwork or your interview answers, then the USCIS may come after you.
  • You refused to testify before Congress: after you become naturalized, you must testify before the U.S. congressional committee for 10 years after you are naturalized. If they are suspicious of your subversive acts and you refuse to testify before them, then you may be in trouble.
  • You were involved in a subversive group: after you become naturalized, you must not join a subversive group for five years. If the USCIS learns about your involvement in one of these groups, then they may question you.
  • You were discharged from the military on dishonorable grounds: you may have been naturalized by serving for the U.S. military. But is you were dishonorably discharged before completing five years of service, then you may be denaturalized.

It is important to note that once the USCIS files a formal complaint against you, you must respond within 60 days. This is your only opportunity to defend yourself in trial and maintain your citizenship. And, this should not be done without the guidance of a skilled family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI. We understand just how important your citizenship in the U.S. is for you and your family, so you must not hesitate in retaining our services. We look forward to working with you.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?