Can I Sponsor My Sibling for Immigration?

You may not want to experience life in the United States alone but rather in the company of your loved ones. This may go beyond your spouse and children and extend to your siblings. Follow along to find out how to sponsor your sibling and how a proficient family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can walk you through every step.

Under what circumstances can I petition for my sibling’s immigration?

Simply put, you may petition for your sibling’s immigration to the United States so long as you are a citizen of 21 years of age or older. Namely, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services recognizes your sibling as a preference relative. Meaning that they are considered a non-immediate relative who is thereby subject to the USCIS’s annual “cap” on admittances into the United States. As of 2023, this annual cap was set at 226,000 preference relatives.

What’s more, your sibling may fall under the family preference category four, which is the lowest category set by the USCIS. Unfortunately, this may indicate that your sibling must wait exceptionally long for their chance to enter the country. On average, this wait time may be 14 years; but it may ultimately depend on your sibling’s national origin/country of residence.

If you are interested in sponsoring other relatives, as well, the other family preference categories that you must be made aware of read as follows:

  • Family preference category one: your unmarried sons and daughters who are 21 years of age or older.
  • Family preference category two: your spouse, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters who are 21 years of age or older; if you are of permanent resident status.
  • Family preference category three: your married sons and daughters who are 21 years of age or older.

How can I sponsor my sibling for immigration to the United States?

Given the extended wait times that are in store for your sibling, it is recommended that you file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on their behalf at your earliest possible convenience. Importantly, you must supplement this form with the following pieces of proof:

  • Proof of your United States citizenship:
    • A copy of your birth certificate.
    • A copy of your United States passport.
    • A copy of your certificate of naturalization or citizenship.
  • Proof of your sibling relationship:
    • A copy of your sibling’s birth certificate that lists your common parents.
    • For an adopted sibling: a copy of their adoption certificate.
    • For a step-sibling: a copy of your parent and step-parent’s marriage certificate from before you and your sibling were 18 years of age or older.

This is not to mention the $535 filing fee that must be paid. In the end, even if you are just considering sponsoring your sibling, it is best to first consult with a talented Milwaukee, WI family immigration lawyer. So please contact us at Sesini Law Group, S.C. today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?