Can I Lose My Green Card if I Have Been Out of the US for Two Years?

The quick answer to this is, you bet! There’s a presumption that you’ve abandoned your permanent resident status and you’re going to have problems coming back into the country by CBP. They may threaten or coerce you to give up your permanent resident status and if you don’t do that most of the time they’ll place you in removal proceedings. I would suggest, not letting CBP coerce you into abandoning your permanent resident status. It’s much better to possibly spend a night or two in jail and once you are released, go see an experienced immigration attorney who does removal defense to try to get back your green card.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Contact us for an initial consultation. 

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?