Can I Leave the United States if I Have a Green Card?

If you are someone with a Green Card who wishes to leave the U.S. on business, to see family, or perhaps simply want to take a vacation, there is a lot you need to know. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Wisconsin immigration firm to learn more about the process and how we can help.

What documents will I need to travel outside of the United States with a Green Card?

If you are a permanent resident and are looking to leave the United States, you will have to take certain documents with you. You will need either a passport from your country of citizenship or a refugee travel document that will allow you to travel to another country. Additionally, under some circumstances, you may also have to obtain and use a visa to leave the U.S.

What documents do I need to reenter the U.S. if I have a Green Card?

To reenter the United States, you will have to first present a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer your Green Card. Next, that officer will review your Green Card, as well as your passport, foreign national I.D., or your U.S. driver’s license. As long as everything is as it should be, you should be admitted back into the U.S. However, if for any reason, the officer gives you any difficulties, you should reach out to an experienced immigration attorney who can help fight for your right to reenter the country.

Will I be allowed back in the United States if I leave for a long time?

In most cases, the answer is yes. However, you will have to first apply for a re-entry permit via Form I-131. As long as it is approved, you may be readmitted into the U.S. until that permit expires without having to acquire a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. In many cases, however, if you are outside of the United States for more than 6 months and are not yet a naturalized citizen, you may disturb the continuous residency needed to become a naturalized citizen. Fortunately, however, USCIS allows many individuals to simply file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes via Forn N-470. If you need help ensuring these applications are completed correctly and on-time, simply speak with our firm today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?