Can I Apply for U.S. Citizenship While Inside the Country?

You may already possess a green card that allows you to travel between the United States and your home country. However, this does not mean that you should utilize this benefit, and live in both places, when you are ready to apply for citizenship. This is because there are strict requirements surrounding Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Follow along to find out how to apply for United States citizenship while inside the country and how a proficient N-400 application lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help you take strategic steps.

Can I apply for citizenship while still inside the United States?

It is not only encouraged to stay inside the United States while applying for citizenship, but it is required. That is, as an N-400 applicant, you are required to prove your continuous residence and physical presence within the country.

As far as continuous residence goes, you must prove that you have maintained residence within the United States for at least five years preceding your application. Or, if you are a qualified spouse of a United States citizen, this duration must be at least three years. Of note, an extended absence of six months to one year may disrupt what constitutes your continuous residence, unless you can prove otherwise.

On the other hand, you must prove that you were physically present in the United States for the past 30 months within the five years preceding your application. And if you are a qualified spouse of a United States citizen, this duration is 18 months. What’s more, you must have lived in the United States district or state where you claim to have residency for the past three months immediately preceding your application.

What else should I keep in mind when applying for citizenship?

In addition to showing your continuous residence and physical presence, your N-400 application requires you to meet other requirements. They are as follows:

  • You must take a naturalization test that includes reading, writing, and civics sections.
  • You must attend a naturalization interview with a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer.
  • If you are a qualified spouse of a United States citizen, you must bring a valid marriage license to your naturalization interview.

Lastly, while it is in your best interest to remain in the country while your application is processed, we understand that there may be extenuating circumstances that may require you to travel. So, in the meantime, you may file for employment authorization and advance parole so that you may work and travel to and from the United States.

You cannot ignore your naturalization application for much longer. Instead, you must retain the services of a talented U.S. naturalization lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, from Sesini Law Group, S.C., today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?