Can I get a visa for employment in the U.S.?

The United States can be seen as a place full of opportunities for individuals from other countries. If they have an employment opportunity that is waiting for them in the country, they may be able to enter the country with a visa. Individuals will have to consider their options for visas relating to employment. Visas are needed to prove that they are permitted to enter the country and reside there for a certain period of time. Visas may expire. Individuals may be able to apply for another visa when this occurs and sometimes they can apply for permanent residency as well.

What is the process like?

Before immigrants from other countries enter the United States, there are steps they need to take to be approved for an employment visa. A work permit needs to be granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services to grant an individual entry into the country. Some foreign nations can fill out a I-765 form. This application will request permission to work in the United States. If you are granted access to work here, this will allow you to stay in the U.S. for a limited period of time while you continue to work. It is important to remember that this form grants access only for a specific period of time. A common temporary work visa is the H-1B visa. Another type of work visa is the L-1 visa. This visa is different from other ones because it is reserved for an employee in a specific position. These types of visas are only for immigrants who are taking on a managerial or executive role. The individuals could also be using this visa if they are equipped with essential or expert knowledge.

What’s an investor visa?

Investor visas are another type of employment opportunity for those who want to enter the United States and continue to work here. These visas allow investors to come to the country while they are self-employed. These visas facilitate trade between the U.S. and treaty countries. If you are granted access to this visa, you can bring your family into the country with you as well. This will put your family in the same category as you when you are admitted into the U.S. Also, it will make your family eligible for employment authorization while the investor visa is in effect. These E-1 and E-2 visas last five years and may be renewed every five years if you continue to qualify for it.

Temporary work visas have some more restrictions on them. They allow immigrants to enter into the country for a limited capacity and a limited period of time. Some of these temporary visas only allow the employee to work for one employer, enterprise or company. However, other ones will allow you to work for any employer. These visas have varying circumstances depending on which one you are approved for.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?