Can I enter into the United States based on employment?

When individuals are faced with a job opportunity, they often want to do whatever they can to make it work. If it is a job they are particularly excited about, they may wish to move to a different area in order to make it work. Individuals that live outside of the United States have the opportunity to pursue job options through work authorization. Before individuals enter the U.S., they will need to acquire a work permit that is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Some specific foreign nations can fill out a I-765 form. Through this form, it will request permission for the immigrant to work in the United States. If this application is approved and the person is granted access, it will allow for the individual to stay in the U.S. for a specific period of time while they continue to work. With this form, it is important to remember that they only grant individuals approval for a limited period of time. A common temporary work visa is the H-1B visa. Another type of work visa is the L-1 visa.

How is an L-1 visa different from others?

An L-1 visa is different from other work visas because it is reserved for an employee that is in a specific position. These types of visas are only for immigrants who are taking on a managerial or executive role. The individuals could also be using this visa if they are equipped with essential or expert knowledge.

What is an investor visa?

Investor visas also allow for individuals to pursue employment opportunities in the United States. These visas allow investors to enter into the U.S. to be self-employed. They facilitate trade between the U.S. and treaty countries. If you are granted access to this visa, you are allowed to bring your family into the country with you as well. This will put your family in the same category as you when you are admitted into the U.S. Also, it will make your family eligible for employment authorization while the investor visa is in effect. These E-1 and E-2 visas last 5 years and may be renewed every 5 years if you continue to qualify for it.

Temporary work visas are another option for employees. These have some more restrictions on them. They allow immigrants to enter into the country for a limited capacity and a limited period of time. Some of these temporary visas only allow the employee to work for one employer, enterprise or company. However, other ones will allow you to work for any employer.

If you and your employer both find an interest in changing your status to a lawful resident of the United States, a PERM visa may be an option for you. This will grant you a green card, allowing you to live and work in the U.S. without a specific period of time stated.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?