Will I Get a Stimulus Check if I am Not an American Citizen?

The new coronavirus has had a drastic effect on the United States. Because of the mandatory stay-at-home orders and other preventative measures taken by the government, many people are unable to return to work and therefore cannot afford the standard of life they once enjoyed. Because of this, Congress recently passed a $2 trillion stimulus bill to help jumpstart the economy and keep families in fair financial standing. The bill is known as the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). Please continue reading and speak with our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about the bill and whether you, as a non-citizen, qualify for economic relief.

What does the CARES Act do?

The CARES Act permits certain people to receive financial relief in the form of a $1,200 one-time cash rebate. However, you must meet certain criteria before receiving such relief. The criteria are as follows:

  • If you have an adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less on you most recently filed tax return, you should qualify
  • Single adults who earn more than $99,000 will not receive the cash rebate.
  • People who have income between $75,000 and $99,000 may receive less than $1,200 in rebate money
  • Married couples earning an income of $150,000 or less should receive $2,400
  • Every qualifying child 16 years old or younger will permit families to receive an additional $500 rebate
  • Married couples earning $198,000 or more do not qualify for a rebate
  • Couples who make between $150,000 and $198,000 may receive a rebate less than $2,400

Can a non-citizen get a stimulus check?

To qualify for the rebate, you must have a valid Social Security Number. If you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, you will not qualify for the stimulus check. If you are a “Nonresident Alien,” you will also not qualify for the stimulus rebate. You are considered a nonresident alien unless:

  • You have a U.S. green card 
  • You can satisfy the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)’s “substantial presence” test for the calendar year. This means you must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 31 days during the current tax year and at least 183 days during the last three tax years.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?