What You Need to Know About Investor Visas in the United States

If you are an employer who is looking to do business here in the United States, there is a very good chance that you are now looking into obtaining an investor visa, or a treaty visa. Please continue reading and speak with our Wisconsin immigration attorney to learn more about investor visas and whether you may qualify for one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What does an investor visa do?

An investor visa, or E visa, gives foreign nationals the right to be self-employed in the U.S. If you receive an E visa, you will become a U.S. citizen for up to 5 years, and from year, you can renew your visa every 5 years as long as your qualifying business resumes. Your spouse and children may also stay and work here in the United States as well.

How does an E-1 visa work?

If you are a certain employee or treaty trader of an enterprise, you may receive an E-1 visa to help you maintain trade between the United States and the treaty country, as long as you meet the following qualifications:

  • You must conduct at least 50% of the international trade with the U.S. and the treaty country
  • The income you receive from the trade should support you and your family
  • You must prove that there is an exchange between the US and your treaty country
  • It must be an international trade involving goods, services, and money
  • The owner must be a foreign national and own at least 50% of the company, though employees may hold a managerial position that is essential to the business’s success
  • Your trade must already exist between a ratified trade treaty country and the United States

What is the purpose of an E-2 visa?

If you are looking to obtain an E-2 visa, either as a foreign enterprise or an investor, you must:

  • Have invested be actively investing in a U.S. enterprise
  • Have an investment of capital with the expectation of making a profit
  • Have possession and full control of the investment
  • Have an investment irrevocably committed to the U.S. enterprise
  • Have unsecured personal business capital OR capital secured by personal assets

If you have any additional questions about investor visas here in the United States, please do not hesitate to speak with our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys today. Our firm is here to help you through every step of the process.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?