What You Need to Know About Employment Visas in the U.S.

If you are someone who is looking to work here in the United States, then you have most likely read up on employment visas. Below, our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys have compiled a short guide to employment visas so you can go into the process feeling far more confident, knowing what to expect. Please continue reading and speak with our firm to learn more about employment visas and how we can help you receive one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Why do I need an employment visa?

When you receive an employment visa, you will be allowed, by law, to live in the United States, under the condition that you retain employment. You may extend this visa more than once, though, after the final extension, you will most likely have to go back to your native country. That being said, you will also have to return to your country if your job ends or is terminated. You should also note, however, that you may seek permanent residency as a nonimmigrant worker through the PERM labor certification process.

Are there different types of employment visas available in the U.S.?

Yes. There are many different kinds of employment visas, though most likely only one of those visas will apply to you. Some of the employment visas available in the U.S. are as follows:

  • H-1B Visas: These are for professional employees
  • H-2 Visas: These are for nonimmigrant unskilled workers who are looking for temporary or seasonal work
  • M Visas: These are nonvocational student visas
  • F Visas: If you are a student who is looking to attend a high school, private elementary school, conservatory, seminary, university, and other academic institutions, you will look to receive an F visa
  • B-1 Visas: You may receive a B-1 visa if you are looking to gain temporary entry into the United States for conferences, seminars, meetings, and more
  • TN Visas: Only Mexican or Canadian professionals with sponsors in the U.S. can receive TN visas
  • P Visas: These are temporary visas that are typically granted to noncitizen artists, athletes, and entertainers, as well as their spouses and children.
  • R Visas: These temporary visas are for religious workers

Applying for Employment Visas in the U.S.

You will apply for your employment visa outside of the United States, in your native country. That being said, the chances of you receiving such a visa are not great, as only 140,000 employment-based visas are handed out every year. Our firm can help expedite the process. All you have to do is give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?