What You Need to Know About 3 & 10-Year Bar Waivers

When someone resides in the United States illegally, they are always at risk for deportation. However, if you are a nonimmigrant who left the country for a valid reason, i.e. to care for a sick family member in your native country, and were barred from the United States upon your return, you most likely have several questions. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorney to learn more about 3 & 10-year bar waivers in the United States. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What happens if I am issued a 3 or 10-year bar?

When someone illegally resides in the United States, leaves the country, and is denied their return into the country, they are generally apprehended and barred from the United States, either for 3 or 10 years (though sometimes permanently). That being said, if you can prove that you qualify for a bar waiver, you may be deemed admissible into the United States.

Can I receive a bar waiver into the U.S.?

The United States Department of Homeland Security will first have to determine that your parent or spouse will endure extreme hardship if you are denied access into the United States. In many cases, however, the qualifications for “extreme hardship” are extremely stringent, which is why you will need an experienced Wisconsin immigration attorney on your side who can work to prove that you truly qualify. To prove as much, we will have to demonstrate that without your return to the United States, your spouse or parent will either not make it or barely make it. Some examples of extreme hardship are as follows:

  • Your spouse or parent is very sick and has a medical condition that absolutely requires your care or assistance
  • Your spouse or parent residing here in the United States is financially dependent on your paycheck that you receive from your place of employment and without it, he or she would sustain a significant financial loss.
  • Your spouse or parent has a family member who has a serious medical condition that requires your care, and without care from you specifically, he or she would face severe consequences.
  • Your parent or spouse has financial debts in the US and would not be able to pay those debts off without your assistance.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to give our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys a call today. We are always here to help.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?