What to Know About Renewing a Green Card in Wisconsin

A Green Card provides immigrants with the comfort they need to focus on what means the most in their lives. However, Green Cards are not permanent, in the sense that every 10 years, you must get your Green Card renewed. Read on to learn more about how you can renew your Green Card in Wisconsin.

How do I Get my Green Card Renewed?

In order to renew your Green Card, you will have to fill out a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You may file this document either online or on paper and submit it through the mail. However, If you are someone who still has a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current Green Card as soon as possible. Consult with an experienced attorney about doing so.

Can I Renew a Green Card From Outside of the United States?

The process for renewing a Green Card if you are outside of the United States is as follows: If your Green Card is to expire within six months, and you are set to return one year from the date of your departure from the U.S., you will have to file for your renewal card upon your return.

On the other hand, if you have not applied for the renewal card before you left the U.S., you must immediately visit a U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. port of entry before you can file your Form I-90 for a Green Card renewal.

What if my Green Card Renewal Application is Denied?

Unfortunately, if your application gets denied, you are not allowed to appeal the decision. However, you may be able to file a motion to report or reconsider with the office that determined you are ineligible for renewal. In order to do so, you must hire an experienced attorney to help you with this matter, as the motion must have new information that supports a reexamination of the decision. Your attorney can help you obtain, collect, and present all the evidence needed to prove that the decision to deny your application was based on an incorrect application of the law.

If you need to renew your Green Card, or you need to file a motion to reconsider your Green Card renewal, our firm is here to help. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through the process, each step of the way.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?