What is a U Visa & Do I Qualify for One?

Undocumented immigrants in the United States have a lot on the line. In many cases, they have to be extremely careful in their daily lives so they can avoid potential deportation. Unfortunately, just like the rest of us, undocumented immigrants can be victims of crimes as well. If you are an undocumented immigrant and you were recently the victim of a crime, you may feel hesitant to speak with law enforcement out of fear that you may be deported as a result. Fortunately, you may find protection via a U visa. Please continue reading and speak with our Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about these visas and how they may help you stay in the United States and report the perpetrator of the crime. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are the qualifications for a U visa in the U.S.?

To qualify for a U visa, you will have to demonstrate that you are the victim of a qualifying crime that occurred on United States soil. Unfortunately, not all crimes qualify for these visas. The only crimes that qualify will have to involve you sustaining severe emotional or physical trauma as a result. Some of the crimes that qualify for U visas are witnessing murders, being sexually assaulted, being the victim of domestic violence, being the victim of human trafficking, and witnessing manslaughter. Certain additional crimes may qualify, but they must be particularly heinous in nature, as you can tell. Additionally, to qualify for a visa, you will have to provide law enforcement with information regarding the crime and cooperate with law enforcement from there. If you are deemed admissible into the U.S., you should receive your visa.

How long does a U visa last?

These visas generally are only valid for four years. That being said, if you can demonstrate that you need an extension of your U visa due to exceptional circumstances, with the help of an attorney, your visa may be extended. Additionally, if law enforcement requests your visa be extended, or you require an extension due to delays in consular processing, you may receive an extension. Furthermore, there are certain circumstances that may warrant a modification to your visa. If you have been in the United States uninterrupted for at least 3 years, you have a birth certificate, copies of your passports, a medical examination/vaccination record, an affidavit to support your claim, and you can prove that you’ve obtained a U visa in the past, you may modify your visa.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?