What is a K2 Visa?

K1 visas, also referred to as fiance visas, are fantastic a means for individuals who are looking to marry a United States citizen to become citizens themselves. That being said, these visas are not particularly easy to obtain, and furthermore, if you have a minor child, you will also have to obtain what is known as a K2 visa. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorneys to learn more about these visas, how we can help you get one, and what the legal process ahead looks like. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if my child can receive a K2 visa?

To start, the applicant in question will have to be a child of the holder of a K1 visa, and the child must also be unmarried and under the age of 21. If one parent is a U.S. citizen and wishes to marry someone from another country that holds a K1 visa, then that person’s child will most likely qualify for a K2 visa. That being said. K2 visas do not give applicants immigrant status, and once that child’s parents marry, he or she must file an application to register permanent residence to change their immigration status.

What do I need to get a K2 visa?

If you wish to obtain a K2 visa for your child, your child’s name will have to be on your petition for the visa, and you will also have to provide USCIS with the following documentation:

  • A completed Form I-134
  • Affidavit of Support
  • Sponsor documents
  • Medical exam test results from an Embassy-accredited physician
  • A duly filled in Form DS-160
  • A passport, as well as a passport-sized photograph of the child
  • A copy of your child’s birth certificate

What is the K2 process like?

Once you have submitted the documentation, you will have to have an interview either at the US Consulate or Embassy. Once your petition is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center, then to the US Embassy or Consulate in your location. Finally, as long as your application is approved, you will be notified of the date of your interview. Once you receive the K2 visa, your child can stay in the US for up to 90 days, wherein the parents should get married. If they do not, the child will have to leave in the following 30 days, and the visa cannot be extended.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?