U.S. Travel Documents | What You Need to Know

There are a lot of different ways to enter the U.S. Read on to learn more about the different travel documents available to those who wish to enter the U.S.

What Visas Do I Need for a Short-Term Stay in the U.S.?

Some of the most common types of short-stay visas the U.S. government issues are as follows:

  • Business visa: This allows foreign nationals to engage in commerce in the U.S,
  • Working holiday visa: This allows individuals to obtain temporary work here in the U.S. while they are traveling.
  • Transit visa: If you plan on passing through the United States to reach a destination outside of the country, you will need a transit visa, which generally only allows individuals to stay up to 10 days, and sometimes as short as a few hours.
  • Private visa: If you were someone who was invited to the U.S. by a U.S. resident for a private visit, you may receive a private visa.
  • Medical visa: You may obtain one if you require medical treatment/diagnostics from a specific medical professional in the U.S.
  • Tourist visa: These visas are reserved for a short period of leisure/tourist travel.
  • Athletic or artistic visa: These are reserved for competing athletes, performing artists, and the like.
  • Cultural exchange visa: Generally for athletes/artists participating in cultural exchange programs.

What Visas Do I Need for a Lond-Term Stay in the U.S.?

There are various visas the U.S. government offers to individuals who are looking to stay in the U.S. for a longer, albeit limited period of time. Those visas are as follows:

  • Refugee visa: If you are a foreign national seeking to flee significant danger in your country, such as persecution, natural disaster, or otherwise, you may receive a refugee visa.
  • Student visa: This allows foreign nationals to receive higher education here in the U.S.
  • Asylum visa: Not dissimilar to the refugee visa, asylum visas are granted to those who are fearful of persecution in their country due to race, beliefs, associations with a particular group, etc.
  • Temporary worker visa for approved employment: The most common type of worker visa is the H-1B visa.
  • Journalist visa: For journalists who wish to report for their news organizations in the U.S.

If you have any questions about the various travel documents available in the United States, contact our experienced firm.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?