How to Obtain a Permanent Resident Card

If you are a non-United States citizen, you may wish to obtain a Permanent Residency Card, or what is commonly referred to as a “green card.” While many people understand the benefits of obtaining one, it is usually easier said than done. This is why if you are interested in pursuing a green card, you must first contact an experienced attorney who knows the ins and outs of the immigration system.

How do I know if I am eligible to receive a green card?

As a non-United States citizen seeking a green card, you must reside within the United States and meet certain other specific criteria. You may be eligible for a green card if your request is:

  • Job or employment-based: Though entry through this category is limited, you may apply for permanent residence based on employment or a job offer.
  • Family-based: This means that if you are an immediate relative of a United States citizen, you do not have to wait for a visa. There is also no limit to the number of visas that may be issued. Parents of a U.S. citizen, spouses of a U.S. citizen, and unmarried children under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen are all considered immediate relatives. 
  • Refugee or asylum: If you were admitted to the United States as a refugee or as a qualifying spouse or child of a refugee, you must apply for permanent residence one year after your entry. Likewise, if you are granted asylum in the United States, or are a qualifying spouse of a child of an asylee, you may apply for permanent residence one year after your asylum status is granted.
  • Special programs

How long does it take to receive a green card?

The process of petitioning for adjustment of status may take several months or more, as it is an intensive process and requires both biometrics and a formal interview. If you are the spouse of a United States citizen, then the immigration officer conducting the interview will require you provide proof of a valid marriage. You may also file for employment authorization and “advance parole,” which will allow you to work and travel to and from the United States prior to the green card petitioning completion.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

If you are seeking a United States Permanent Resident Card, you must contact a knowledgeable and compassionate attorney who understands your situation. Here at the Sesini Law Group, S.C., we will tenaciously fight for your path to citizenship, every step of the way.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?