Leaving the United States with a Green Card | What to Know

Obtaining a Green Card is incredibly exciting. This will mean you have a number of new rights and benefits. You may be wondering about your options when it comes to leaving the United States after obtaining your Green Card. Read on to learn more about the process of leaving the U.S. with a Green Card.

What Documents Do I Need to Leave and Re-Enter the United States with a Green Card?

If you wish to leave the United States, there are several important documents you will need. Some of these documents include a passport from your country of citizenship, or, if applicable, a refugee travel document that permits you to leave the country. In some cases, you may have to obtain a specific visa that permits you to leave the United States.

Upon returning to the U.S., you must present your Green Card to an officer with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. After the officer reviews your Green Card, passport, and driver’s license, you will most likely be allowed back into the United States. If you encounter any difficulties, you will need the help of an experienced and skilled immigration attorney.

How Long Can I leave the United States if I Have a Green Card?

If you have a Green Card, there is a very good chance that you will be allowed to leave the United States for an extended period of time. That being said, you must first apply for a re-entry permit with the Form I-131. If the form is approved, you can leave the United States and return without a problem, until your permit expires.

If you are someone who is not yet a naturalized citizen in the United States, there is a very good chance that if you leave for more than six months, you will likely disturb the continuous residency needed in order to become a naturalized citizen, which can prevent you from becoming naturalized. To avoid this, you can file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes in Form N-470.

If you have any questions or concerns or encounter any difficulties leaving and re-entering the country, contact our firm. Our team of dedicated attorneys is here for you.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?