What should I know about removing conditions?

Sometimes, permanent residents in the United States has “conditions” placed on their green card. These conditional permanent resident cards are only valid for two years. However, if the individual would like to continue being a permanent resident and living in the United States, they must file a petition that aims to remove the conditions within 90 days before the permanent resident card expires. If an individual fails to file this petition to remove conditions, they will lose their status as a permanent resident.

When an individual has conditions for either marriage or for entrepreneurship, they will have to file different petitions. Those who have conditions on their permanent resident card because of marriage must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence. When an entrepreneur wants to remove conditions from their green card, they will have to file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.

When a dependent child is listed on a Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence, the parent who is filing the form is required to also submit an additional biometric services fee of $85. It is important to note that this is true for each individual dependent child, so if there were three dependent children listed, the parent must pay an additional $255.

If you have questions about removing conditions, contact us today.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?