What is a J-1 visa?

When individuals who live in other countries want to participate in an approved exchange program to the United States, they will have to apply for a J-1 nonimmigrant visa. In order to participate in an exchange program, an individual will have to become accepted into a program that is sponsored by a public or private entity in the Exchange Visitor Program and approved by the Department of State. The goal of exchange programs is primarily to promote the knowledge and skills of individuals in the fields of arts, sciences, or education. Those who are eligible to participate in an Exchange Visitor Program include teachers, students, professors, scholars, nannies, au pairs, camp counselors, or other specialists that qualify.

It is important to note that only some individuals in the United States on a J-1 nonimmigrant visa are permitted to work. The eligibility for employment all depends on the specific terms of the exchange program that the visa holder is participating in. Each one is different.

Of course, before applying for  J-1 visa with form DS-2019, an individual must obtain a sponsoring agent that has formally accepted them into their exchange program. The administration of the sponsoring agency can help applicants through the visa process. However, if you have general questions about the J-1 visa, contact our firm.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?