Do I have to do an interview for a student visa?

When immigrants from other countries want to receive an education in the United States, they will have to go through the application process for a student visa. Before entering the country, they will have to gain approval for a student visa at a specific school of their choosing. During this process, there are many steps that may need to be completed. These individuals should give themselves enough time to complete the steps before their planned start of date of schooling. For this application process, an interview may be a required part of the process that individuals have to complete to gain approval for the visa. However, not all individuals have to complete an interview to gain access to a student visa. Someone’s age can affect their requirement to complete an interview. If an individual is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may not be obligated to go to an interview to be approved for a student visa.

What should I bring to the interview?

When individuals need to attend an interview to complete their student visa application process, they will need to bring specific documents with them. These documents can be examined by the interviewer to give your approval for the visa. These documents can include a passport that will be valid during the length of your stay and six months after, a non-immigrant visa application, a photo of yourself, a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa, the I-20 form and an application fee receipt. The applicant may also be required to provide proof of their academic studies, including standardized test scores, transcripts, diplomas, degrees and other additional academic documents.

What other steps are included?

Eligibility requirements are also an important part of the student visa application process. Before applying for a student visa, applicants should make sure that they selected a school that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. The program has to have the school approved in order to make the student eligible for a student visa. If the school is not approved by this program, the individual may not be eligible for a student visa for this particular school. Once the applicant decides on a school that is approved by the program, they will have to apply for either a M or F visa. An M visa is for vocational schools or other recognized non-academic institutions. The F visa is for most other schools. These schools can include university or college, private elementary school, high school, seminary, conservatory, language training program and other recognized academic institutions. It is important to choose the right visa based on the type of school you wish to attend while in the United States.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?