How can I sponsor my spouse, children or parents as a Green Card holder? What’s the waiting time?

  • As a permanent resident, you can apply for your spouse and children.
  • You cannot apply for your parents. Only a US citizen can apply for parents. However, for your spouse and for your children, they do go on waiting lists. It’s called the preference category.
  • For spouse and children under the age of 21, they’re in a 2A preference category.
  • Right now, for example, if you’re from Mexico, there’s probably about a two-year waiting period.
  • If you want to petition for a son or daughter that’s over the age of 21 and you’re from Mexico, the waiting period on paper, if you file today, is 20 years. In reality, it’s over 100 years. There’s a lot of issues.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?