Guide to the United States

When you come to the United States as a permanent resident, there may be a lot of unknowns. Where will you live? Where will you work? Where can I find somebody to take care of my child when I am at work? The Internet is a great resource for questions of this matter but it may be overwhelming for some. If you do not have access to the Internet or to a computer, you can head to a local library to use a computer. The United States has a number of services that can assist you in finding the answers to these questions.

Of course, you will need to find a place to live. You can contact a local real estate agent, look for signs that say “for rent” or “for sale” and ask family or friends in the area if they know of anywhere to live. You will also need to secure a job in order to pay your rent, taxes, and for other living expenses. If you do not already speak English, it is valuable to begin learning so you have a better chance of getting a job. There are a number of available resources to help you learn English, whether it be via the Internet or by taking a class.

Some other factors that you will need to take care of after coming to the United States include starting a bank account, obtaining health and car insurance, enrolling children in school and finding primary and specialty doctors for your family’s needs.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding these matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and obtain your initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?