Fiance Visas in the United States

Individuals who are citizens of the United States and engaged to a non-citizen may be able to bring their fiance to the country. This requires them to apply for a visa for their entry to the country so that they may be married and live within the United States. This type of visa is called a K-1 visa, more commonly known as a fiance visa. When a fiance is granted a K-1 visa, they must marry within 90 days of entering the country. If they fail to do so, they are required to leave the country within 30 days. This status can lead to many benefits for an immigrant. Once they are married, the individual can apply to adjust their status and become a permanent resident of the United States through a Green Card.


In order for a couple to apply for a fiance visa, they must meet certain criteria. A major qualification for a fiance visa is that the couple must have met at least two years before they file for the visa. They are required to provide evidence of this while filing a petition. This is done through an I-129F, available through the Department of State. Like other visa applications, background checks are required to be conducted on the applicants after they complete their paperwork.

The Process

When a petition for a fiance visa is approved, it does not necessarily mean that the visa will be granted. Once it is approved, the fiance must go through an interview and a medical examination in their own country. During the fiance interview, several things are assessed about the individual to determine if they should be let into the country. Some of the things that may be assessed can include:

  • If the fiance completed information about their fiance. This may include details about their family, past relationships or marriages, employment, etc.
  • If the fiance is interested in the citizen they wish to marry and are serious about the marriage.
  • If the fiance is a decent person of good moral character

During this process, the fiance will be asked a series of questions that must be answered in order to determine their future status. This may include the following:

  • Their name
  • Where they were born
  • Their nationality
  • Their age
  • If they have ever been to the United States. If they have, what type of visa did they come on? How long and where did they stay?
  • If they have any relatives in the United States
  • If they have ever been married before or if they have any children

Contact our Firm

If you are looking to apply for a fiance visa and seek the guidance of an experienced attorney, contact Sesini Law Group,

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?