Can Spouses and Children of U.S. Service Members Gain Citizenship?

Those who serve our military are among our most honorable citizens, which is why very often, spouses or children of U.S. service members will qualify for expedited or overseas naturalization. If you believe you or your child qualify for naturalization, then you must read on and reach out to our experienced immigration attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through the legal process going forward. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I qualify for citizenship as a spouse of a U.S. service member?

If you are the spouse of a service member who either will be, or is currently stationed abroad, there is a very good chance that you will qualify for expedited naturalization in the United States. However, you must first meet several criteria before you are officially naturalized under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. These qualifications are as follows:

  • You have to be physically present in the United States when your naturalization ceremony occurs
  • You must demonstrate that you can read, write, and speak basic English, as well as prove that you have sufficient knowledge of U.S. civics (government) and history
  • You must be 18 years or older
  • You must be of good moral character, demonstrate that you align yourself with the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and that you are ready and willing to contribute to the happiness and “good order” of the United States from here on out.
  • Your spouse must specifically authorize your accompaniment abroad
  • You must prove that your spouse is a U.S. citizen who will either be stationed abroad, or is currently stationed abroad, for at least one year

Can a child of a U.S. service member qualify for overseas naturalization?

Fortunately, children of U.S. service members very often will qualify for overseas naturalization, as long as they can meet the following requirements:

  • They must be younger than 18 years old
  • The child must have at least one parent who is currently a U.S. citizen, or was a U.S. citizen at the time of his or her death
  • The child must currently reside outside of the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?