Can I work in the US while my adjustment of status application is pending?

  • Yes. When you file the adjustment of status application, you automatically file for employment authorization.
  • Employment authorization is going to take approximately 75 to 90 days for it to be approved. Technically, you’re not supposed to be working prior to obtaining an employment authorization. However, there are probably 11 million people in the United States that are working without authorization.
  • I will say this: You should not work. However, if you are filing to obtain your permanent resident status through a spouse, working without authorization is not going to affect you obtaining adjustment of status.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Should I Know About the Proposed Bipartisan Immigration Bill?
  •  What Is in the Immigration Bill Passed by House Republicans?
  •  What Are the Concerns Surrounding the H-1B Visa Lottery?
  •  What Are the Benefits of Becoming a U.S. Citizen?