Can I obtain a visa to become employed in the U.S. as a noncitizen?

Individuals from other countries may get the opportunity to seek employment in the United States although they are not citizens. They may be able to do so if they acquire the proper documentation. First, they have to make sure they are going through the proper process to ensure that they are documented in the states. Before entering the country, they will need to acquire a work permit to allow them to reside in the country and work there legally. This can be granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Some foreign nations can fill out a I-765 form. This application will request permission to work in the United States. However, this may only be granted for a specific period of time. Individuals should make sure they do not exceed this time period.

There are a few different types of work visas people can acquire when they want to work in the United States. One of these visas includes an L-1 visa is different from other ones because it is reserved for an employee in a specific position. These types of visas are only for immigrants who are taking on a managerial or executive role. The individuals could also be using this visa if they are equipped with essential or expert knowledge. With an L-1 visa, individuals can have some support when applying for permanent residency in the country.

What are investor visas?

Investor visas are another type of employment opportunity for those who want to enter the United States. They allow investors to enter the U.S. to be self-employed. These visas facilitate trade between the U.S. and treaty countries. If you are granted access to this visa, you can bring your family into the country with you as well. This will put your family in the same category as you when you are admitted into the U.S. Also, it will make your family eligible for employment authorization while the investor visa is in effect. These E-1 and E-2 visas last 5 years and may be renewed every 5 years if you continue to qualify for it. If you and your employer both find an interest in changing your status to a lawful resident of the United States, a PERM visa may be an option for you. This will grant you a green card, allowing you to live and work in the U.S. without a specific period of time stated.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  How Do I Apply for an EB-1 Visa?
  •  What Happens During the Fiancé Visa Interview?
  •  What Happens if My Visa Is Denied?
  •  What Are Tips For Avoiding Deportation?