Am I Eligible For a U Visa in the United States?

As an undocumented immigrant here in the United States, you are most likely constantly worried about whether you will be forced to leave the country. As this is on many undocumented immigrants’ minds, when bad things happen, they are often scared to go to law enforcement as they are afraid they may be deported. Fortunately, with the assistance of a knowledgeable Wisconsin immigration attorney, this may not be the case, as if you are a victim of a serious crime, our firm can help you obtain a U visa, as long as you qualify for one. Essentially, a U visa allows victims of serious crimes in the U.S. to stay here in the U.S. while being able to report the crime. Continue reading and speak with our firm today to learn more about U visas and how we can help you obtain one.

How do I know if I qualify for a U visa in the U.S.?

To qualify for a U visa, you must prove that you are the victim of a qualifying crime that occurred here in the United States and that as a result, you sustained significant physical or emotional trauma. You will also have to assist law enforcement when it comes to providing information about the crime. As long as you are deemed admissible into the United States, you should qualify for a U visa.

What crimes qualify someone for a U visa?

If you witnessed a murder, manslaughter, or you were raped, are the victim of domestic violence or human trafficking, you should receive a U visa. These are not the only crimes that qualify, however, to qualify, the crime must be particularly heinous.

Is there a way to extend my U visa in the U.S.?

Yes. Generally, U visas only last for four years, however, if law enforcement requests an extension of your U visa, or you can prove that you need the extension due to exceptional circumstances, or even if you can prove that you need the extension due to delays in consular processing, you may receive an extension to your U visa. You can also modify your U visa in certain cases. However, to do so, you will have to prove that you were approved for a U visa and provide a birth certificate, proof of at least 3 years of uninterrupted presence in the U.S., a medical examination/vaccination record, copies of your passports, and an affidavit to support your claim.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?