What Is the Difference Between H-1B, L1, and TN Visas?

If you wish to become a legal citizen of the United States, you are likely combing through every available visa option and determining which one you are most eligible for. Understandably, it may become difficult to determine which application you should go for. Continue reading to learn the difference between H-1B, L1, and TN visas and how an experienced work authorization permit lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, of the Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help you in deciphering them.

What is an H-1B visa?

Simply put, an H-1B visa is a type of non-immigrant work visa that is specifically designated for foreign workers who wish to work temporarily in specialty jobs in the United States. The statute defines these jobs as having, “a theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor.”

Meaning, these jobs require a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent education level as a minimum. And so, such specialty jobs include economists, engineers, physicians, software architects, and similar jobs in related fields.

What are L1 visas?

Like H-1B visas, L1 visas are also a type of non-immigrant work visa. However, this visa is designated for those who wish to participate in intracompany transfers. That is, it allows multinational companies to bring employees with specialized knowledge to the United States to temporarily work. The statute defines specialized knowledge as, “special knowledge of the company product and its application in international markets or has an advanced level of knowledge of its processes and procedures.”

For example, an engineer with knowledge of a company’s mechanical components or patented technology may be eligible for an L1 visa. And unlike H-1B visas, L1 visas do not have an education requirement.

What is a TN visa?

And lastly, a TN visa is also a type of non-immigrant work visa, except it is made for Canadian and Mexican citizens who wish to work in the United States in certain professional occupations as listed under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Though, in 2020, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) was enforced and replaced NAFTA. Nevertheless, the eligibility requirements have remained the same.

Notably, there are approximately 60 occupations that qualify for a TN visa. These occupations are mostly classified under the fields of medicine, science, and education. Evidently, these occupations tend to require a bachelor’s degree as a baseline requirement or an equivalent alternative.

If you are still unsure which visa is best for you and your circumstances, then you must consult with a skilled Milwaukee, WI family immigration lawyer. We will help you in picking a visa option all the way through to submitting your application. So, do not hesitate in picking up the phone and calling us today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Who Is Eligible for an F-3 Visa?
  •  What is an R-1 Visa?
  •  How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?
  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?