What is consular processing?

Individuals who wish to obtain status as a permanent resident in the United States may wonder what steps must be taken in order to achieve this status. Those who are looking to obtain a Green Card but are not in the United States will be required to go through consular processing in order to do so. These individuals will be required to go to a United States Department of State consulate abroad and apply for an immigrant visa. If the visa is approved, they will be admitted to the United States as a permanent resident.

It is important to note that the first step in consular processing is for the potential applicant to determine whether they are even eligible to apply for permanent residency and obtain a Green Card. The majority of people are able to obtain this either through a petition from an employer or family member or by obtaining refugee/asylee status. It is important to speak with someone that can help the potential applicant determine the way in which they are eligible to apply for a Green Card.

Please note that individuals who are already in the United States but wish to obtain a Green Card will have to file for an adjustment of status instead of going through consular processing. They will not have to return to their home country in order to apply for permanent resident status.

If you have questions, contact our firm today.

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. If you have any questions regarding immigration law matters, please contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?