What if My Green Card Is About to Expire?

You may be relieved that the hard work you put into the immigration process has finally paid off and that you can now reap the benefits of being a United States green card holder. However, you cannot get too comfortable in this position, as your green card may be set to expire at some point in the foreseeable future. That is, you must take proactive steps well before this expiration date approaches. Continue reading to learn what to do if your green card is about to expire and how an experienced green card lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help you renew it.

What is the expiration date on my green card?

Of note, green cards issued before 1989 do not have expiration dates. However, most green cards have an expiration date of 10 years from the date of issuance. Or, if you carry conditional permanent resident status, your green card may only be set to last for two years.

What should I do if my green card is about to expire?

You must keep an updated green card because this may be the only way to prove your legitimate permanent resident status in the United States. This is to say that an out-of-date green card may hinder your proof of your ability to travel to and from the United States and your eligibility to work in the country.

So, if the 10-year mark on your green card is rapidly approaching, you must begin to prepare Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Without further ado, listed below are the types of information the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may expect you to include in this application:

  • You must disclose your personal biographical information (i.e., name, date of birth, physical address, country of birth, etc).
  • You must disclose where you initially filed for your green card (i.e., a United States embassy, United States consulate, or USCIS office).
  • You must disclose whether you are a permanent resident, commuter, or conditional resident.
  • You must include a copy of your green card that has expired or is set to expire in the next six months.
  • You must include your payment of the required $465 filing fee.

It is worth mentioning that there is no limit to the amount of times you can renew your green card. However, instead of going through this process every 10 years and paying the filing fee each time, you may consider more sustainable options. For example, you may check your naturalization eligibility to see if you should apply to become a United States citizen instead.

To allow for the best outcome to be reached, you may retain the services of a skilled family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI. Contact Sesini Law Group, S.C. today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?