How Can I Help My Relative Become a United States Citizen?

If you are a United States citizen and would like to help your relative become a lawful permanent resident, continue reading and contact our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorneys today to learn more about Form I-130.

What is a Form I-130?

Also referred to as Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 is the first step in helping an eligible relative through the United States immigration process.

Where does Form I-130 get filed?

The first step to helping your relative apply for a green card is through Form 1-130. The manner in which you file your form will mostly depend on where you currently reside. If you currently reside in the United States as a United States citizen, you will file your form either at the Phoenix, Chicago, or Dallas Lockbox. But, if you are a United States citizen, live outside of the United States, and are filing for an unmarried child under the age of 21, or for one of your parents, you will have to file at the USCIS international office in the country where you are currently living.

If you are a United States citizen who is living outside of the U.S. and in a country where there is no location for a USCIS international lockbox, then you will have to file at the Dallas lockbox. The Form expects you to provide the nature of your relationship with your immigrant relative, your mailing address, marital status, and more. Also, the Form will require you to reveal information including the beneficiary’s full name, physical address, date of birth, and marital information.

How much does it cost to file?

It costs $535 to file, so it is important that the form is filed correctly. This fee will need to be paid via personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or by credit card via Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. It is in your best interest to reach out to an accomplished immigration attorney to ensure that everything is filed correctly.

What information do I need to file Form I-130?

When filing this form, it is imperative that all of the necessary information is submitted. That is why it is crucial that you retain the services of a skilled immigration attorney to guarantee that you are filing this form properly to avoid any future complications. Some of the information you will need to submit includes evidence of your U.S. citizenship, U.S. national status, or lawful permanent residence, a copy of your child’s birth certificate (or your marriage certificate), a copy of your birth certificate, and more.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?