How Can I Get a 10-Year Bar Waiver?

We understand how hard life can be for nonimmigrants in the U.S. If you are someone who was in the United States illegally, left the country for a valid reason, such as a sick family member in your home country, and were denied reentry and barred upon your return, you most likely now seek a waiver. Please read on and reach out to our experienced Wisconsin immigration attorney to learn more about how we can help.

What do 3 & 10-year bars do?

If you were in the United States illegally, fled the county, and then tried to return, you will most likely be apprehended and officially barred from the country, for either 3 years, 10 years, or indefinitely. In effect, these bars prevent individuals from obtaining green cards. However, that being said, there are certain circumstances in which you may qualify for a bar waiver, which can allow you to stay in the United States despite once being barred.

How do I know if I qualify for a bar waiver?

To qualify for a bar waiver, the United States Department of Homeland Security must concede that your parent or spouse will endure extreme hardship if your bar is not waived. This is a particularly challenging case to prove, and USCIS does not take bars lightly. However, with the assistance of an experienced attorney, a bar waiver is within reach. Unfortunately, these waivers often take a decent amount of time to go through, which means that if your family is currently suffering without you, they may have to wait until you are officially approved. That is why our firm will tirelessly work to speed the process along to the best of our ability.

What defines “extreme hardship” in terms of immigration?

To qualify for extreme hardship, you will have to prove that your spouse or parents simply will not make it, or barely scrape by without your assistance. Even with proof, USCIS is oftentimes reluctant to simply waive bars, which is why you must not go it alone–our firm is ready to collect and present evidence as convincingly as possible on your behalf. Some examples of “extreme hardship,” as defined by federal law, can include the following:

  • A spouse or parent is extremely sick or has a medical condition requiring your care/assistance
  • A spouse or parent is dependent on your paycheck, and without it, he or she would ensure extreme financial hardships
  • Your spouse or parent has a family member who is very ill or has a medical condition that requires your care
  • Your parent or spouse has financial debts in the US and needs you to help them pay those debts back

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why If you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C. and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is a National Interest Waiver?
  •  What Is the Visa Bulletin?
  •  Who Is Eligible for an F2 Visa?
  •  What Is an Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing?