Does Asylee Status Provide a Path to U.S. Citizenship?

Legally speaking, an asylee is a person who seeks asylum in the United States to escape persecution in their home country. And, as with all other aspects of U.S. immigration, turning your asylee status into a permanent resident status involves a complicated set of rules, requirements, and procedures. Continue reading to learn how your asylee status may provide a path to U.S. citizenship and how an experienced asylum immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI at the Sesini Law Group, S.C., can help in making this possible.

Am I eligible to turn my asylee status into a U.S. citizenship?

First of all, if you would like to receive asylee status because of persecution, then this persecution must be based on your race, religion, nationality, social group, or political opinion.

If you then want to apply for a Green Card to become a U.S. citizen, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be physically present in the U.S. for at least one year after being granted asylum.
  • You must continue to meet the definition of an asylee, or you are the spouse or child of an asylee.
  • You must not abandon your asylee status.
  • You must not firmly resettle in any other foreign country.
  • You must continue to be admissible to the U.S.

How do I turn my asylee status into a U.S. citizenship?

Once you determine that you are eligible to apply for a Green Card as an asylee, you must follow these designated steps:

  1. Complete Form I-485 (i.e., the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status).
  2. Submit filing fees (i.e., $1,140 fee for Form I-485 and $85 for the biometric service).
    • For asylees under the age of 14, you do not need to submit the biometric service fee.
  3. Submit evidence (i.e., a copy of your Form I-94, Arrival and Departure Record, an approval notice granting asylum, or a copy of the immigration judge’s order that shows you were granted asylum).
    • For asylees who had a name change since being granted asylum, you are required to submit evidence of a legal name change.
  4. If applicable, submit Form I-602 (i.e., the Application by Refugee or Waiver for Grounds of Excludability).
  5. If applicable, submit certified copies of court or arrest records if you were arrested, charged, or convicted of a misdemeanor. Also, submit certified disposition documents that show the outcome of the arrest, charge, or conviction.

Your application soon will be processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Then, you should receive a receipt notice of your Form I-485 and a written notice of the decision. If you require help during this time, reach out to a skilled family immigration lawyer in Milwaukee, WI today.

Contact our experienced Wisconsin firm

John Sesini is an experienced immigration attorney with offices in Green Bay and Milwaukee Wisconsin. Contact the Sesini Law Group, S.C., and schedule your initial consultation with our firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Is the Newest Action to Keep Immigrant Families Together?
  •  What Should I Know About the New Action to Secure the Border?
  •  What is an EB-3 Visa?
  •  How Can I Prepare for My Green Card Interview?